Skip to Main Content

Return to Noticeboard Stories

Applications for EU Settlement Status

Applications for EU Settlement Status

The EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS)

Following a referendum in 2016, the UK decided to leave the European Union (EU).

If you are an EU/European Economic Area (EEA) citizen or the family member* of an EU/EEA citizen, to continue living, working and studying in the UK after it leaves the EU, you will have to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS). The application is free.

Through the EUSS, you can be granted ‘Settled Status’ if you have been in the UK for 5 years or more. This gives you a right to remain in the UK with no time limit.

*Family members are people from outside the EU whose right to be in the UK depends on their family relationship with an EU citizen. There are two types of family members. There are close family members, which means a spouse (husband/wife), civil partner, child under 21, parent or grandparent. The second type are extended family members, which can include durable partners (a current relationship which has continued for at least 2 years), and other relatives such as brother, sister, aunt, uncle, nephew, niece or cousin provided that they depend on the EU/EEA sponsor in some way.  

The Citizens Advice project and help with EUSS applications

Many EU Citizens need information and assistance with their EUSS applications.  The Covid 19 pandemic has stopped face to face support however, help can be obtained in the following ways;

The Citizens Advice project is delivering live information sessions on their  Facebook page in the form of presentation and Q&As. The regular information sessions are provided in several languages and the next upcoming sessions are:


They have also launched a multilingual online 1-2-1 service for people that require assistance with their EUSS application. After consultations with OISC, they have developed an online support system providing safety and confidentiality for clients.

Anyone who would like to speak with the OISC level 1 (limited to EUSS) advisers, can contact the Citizens Advice Project at: