How do I become a Committee Member?
Firstly, you must already be a member of the Association. To become a member you need to complete a small application form and pay £1.00. The Management Committee will consider your application and if approved you would then become a Member. (Please download our Leaflet HERE on Becoming a Member of Faifley Housing Association).
Secondly, the usual way to become a Management Committee Member is to be elected at our Annual General Meeting (AGM). This usually happens every September.
To stand for election you will need to fill out a Nomination Form (download HERE) and deliver this to the Association’s Office at least 7 days before the meeting. At the meeting your nomination will be raised. If there are more nominations than available places then there will be an election and all the members present will vote for each person. The person with the most votes will be elected.
Alternatively, if you decide you wish to become a Member during the year you can be invited to fill any Casual Vacancies that may exist. You would however need to be formally elected at the following AGM.
Thirdly, the Management Committee may ask to co-opt you onto the Management Committee if you have specific skills and knowledge that you could contribute to the running of the Association. No more than 1/3 of the Management Committee may be made up of Co-opted Members.
What does a Committee Member do?
The Management Committee is made up of 15 Members and includes a Chairperson, Vice Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer. These positions are filled annually after every AGM.
The Management Committee makes all the important decisions about what the Association should be doing and how this should be done. Staff members are employed by the Management Committee to act on these decisions and to carry out the day to day work of the Association.
Faifley Housing Association Committee Members all have a job description that each one of them signs. The main points are listed below:
- You must have an interest in the well-being of the local community
- You must be willing to attend training events
- You must turn up to meetings on time
- You must respect the confidentiality of the business of the Association
- You must work for the benefit of the group without personal interest
- You must contribute to the work of the Association in a courteous manner
- You must work hand in hand with the staff
- Issues and grievances from outside should not influence your contribution to the workings of the Committee
- You must follow the agreed policies and procedure of Faifley Housing Association
How does the Management Committee work?
The Management Committee meets once a month. These meetings are divided into Categories:
- Housing Management deals with Rents, Allocations, Estate Management, Anti-Social Behaviour etc.
- Management and Maintenance Services focuses on 2 key areas. The first is the development of new schemes and covers the design of houses, appointment of Contractors and Consultants (Architects, Quantity Surveyor etc) and the other key area is the Maintenance Service and the monitoring of the performance of Repairs Contractors and ensuring that we get value for money.
- Finance & Staffing also covers two key areas. The first is concerned with the monitoring of all the Association’s finances. It discusses budgets and monitors income and expenditure throughout the year. It also oversees the work of our Internal Audit system that monitors how effective we are in following our agreed policies and procedures. Secondly, the Association as an employer needs to have in place policies and procedures relating to staffing issues. This includes rates of pay, conditions of service, training and development etc.
- Health & Safety ensures that the Association complies with all relevant issues of Health and Safety Legislation.
- Code of Conduct Faifley Housing Association is a member of the Scottish Federation of Housing Associations (SFHA) and we are therefore expected to abide by a Code of Conduct. All Committee Members are asked to sign this Code on their election or appointment to the Management Committee.
This Code details the expected standards to which our Committee Members must work. – Click HERE to download a copy.
Interested in Joining?
If you wish to join the Management Committee, then please contact the Association’s Director at the Association’s Office for more information. You can also download a Leaflet HERE providing more information on becoming a Committee member.
This document is available to anyone who requests it on tape, in large print, in Braille and in into most other languages.